Determining your location... | View access restrictions

About Access Restrictions to Electronic Resources

Access and use of electronic resources made available by the Becker Medical Library are governed by license agreements between the School of Medicine and publishers or third parties. Several of the electronic resources carry some restriction on their use. Access may be restricted by user location, number of concurrent users, and/or password.

In short, most people experience access limitations based on the network to which their computer is connected. Below is a quick breakdown of what can be accessed from various networks.

BJH (Limited to) SLCH (Limited to) Proxy (Remote Access) WUSM Off Campus
AccessMedicine
STAT!Ref
UpToDate Online
AccessMedicine
American Academy of Pediatrics Journals
Applied Clinical Informatics
Harriet Lane Handbook
Red Book Online
ScienceDirect
STAT!Ref
UpToDate Online
Unrestricted Access to All Becker Resources Unrestricted Access to All Becker Resources No Access without Proxy

Barnes Medical College, Class of 1904: a magnificent composite photo

Barnes Medical College, Class of 1904

This magnificent composite photo of the Barnes Medical College Faculty with the Class of 1904 is typical of the splendid geometric design of class photos of the period in our photograph collection. Thanks to an item inventory of the map cases of Archives and Rare Books this year, a description of this oversize photo and others like it are now in our archives web database (http://beckerarchives.wustl.edu/index.php?p=core%2Fsearch&q=barnes+Medical+College+1904&content=1).    The map cases contain the class photos of other Barnes Medical College classes, including those of 1897-1898, 1901, 1903-1905 and 1911.

The Photograph

This impressive 28 x 22 inch photograph features individual portraits of 139 people, 27 faculty and 112 students in the Barnes Medical College Class of 1904. The key at the bottom identifies 139 people, 9 women and 130 men. The center diamond contains the Class of 1904 with C.H. Hughes among them in the very center of the photo. C. H. Hughes, M.D., was the President of the Trustees and Faculty of Barnes Medical College. The other 26 faculty, all men, are at the four corners.  Nine women in the class of 1904 occupy a  cluster of nine diamonds below C. H. Hughes.

The Photographer

Hays Studio, located at No. 2 S. Jefferson Avenue in St. Louis, took the 1904 class photo according to their credit line in the key at lower right. (Hays' Studio 1904). John W. Hays was the proprietor of the photographic studio (Lossos n.d.) that was located one mile east and south of Barnes Medical College at the intersection of Jefferson at Market.

Barnes Medical College

In 1904, Barnes Medical College was on Lawson at Garrison Avenue. This address no longer exists, but is part of the Harris-Stowe State University campus. Barnes Medical College, established in 1892 and one of 15 medical schools in the St. Louis in 1904, was a for profit proprietary medical school  (Polk's 1904, 1107). In 1904, it changed its name to Barnes University http://beckerarchives.wustl.edu/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=8693&rootcontentid=38394&q=Barnes+Medical+College#id38394, for in addition to the Barnes Medical College it had a college of pharmacy, a dental school and a nurses training program.  All of these are described in the 1903 college catalog (Bulletin of the Barnes Medical College, Saint Louis Missouri 1903).  In 1902, Barnes Medical College opened its clinical facility with the establishment of Barnes Dispensary with Centenary Hospital and Barnes Dispensary in a building adjoining the College Building (Finding aid to American Medical College, Barnes Medical College, and National University of Arts and Sciences Collections http://beckerarchives.wustl.edu/index.php?p=collections/findingaid&id=8693&rootcontentid=38394&q=Barnes+Medical+College#id38394). 

Charles Hamilton Hughes and son

Among the specialists on the faculty were two neurologists who were father and son, Charles Hamilton Hughes and Marc Ray Hughes.  The diamond at the center of the geometric design is  photo no. 1 of C.H. Hughes, President. His son, Marc Ray Hughes is a serious young man, no. 3 in the upper left corner with other faculty. C.H. Hughes was President of the Board and of the Faculty and professor of Nervous Diseases, Psychiatry and Electro-therapy at Barnes Medical College.  He also had a medical practice at 3857 Olive St. (Bulletin of the Barnes Medical College, Saint Louis Missouri 1903, 1-4) with his son, Marc R. Hughes, M.D.,

Charles Hamilton Hughes was a leading neurologist in the city who published his own textbook in 1903 for medical students and general practitioners, The neurological practice of medicine: a cursory course of selected lectures in neurology, neuriatry, psychology and psychiatry; applicable to general and special practice (http://beckercat.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=78027).  He was also was editor of a journal for the general practitioner on neurology, Alienist and neurologist: a quarterly journal of scientific, clinical and forensic psychiatry and neurology (http://beckercat.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=101553).  Hughes earned his M.D in 1859, as a graduate of the St. Louis Medical College, another proprietary school that became the medical department of Washington University in 1891 (Polk's 1904, 1171).  He was born in St. Louis in 1839.

Marc Ray Hughes, his son and assistant, is the serious young man in no. 3 photo in the upper left corner.) (Hays' Studio 1904), a graduate of Barnes Medical College in 1898 (Polk's 1904, 1177). He was Professor of Neurology at Barnes Medical College in 1903 (Bulletin of the Barnes Medical College, Saint Louis Missouri 1903, 5).  Marc Ray Hughes, M.D. was Associate Editor of the Alienist and Neurologist, and member of the Committee on arrangement for the American Electrotherapeutic Association in St. Louis, MO in 1904. The scientific sessions of that association were held only in the mornings that year so members were free to visit the attractions of the World’s Fair.  He collaborated with his father not only in his practice and teaching, but by editing his textbook and the journal, and in numerous journal articles.

* Please note: Becker Briefs pages may contain links, email addresses or information about resources which are no longer current.