Washington University Customized Copyright Addendum
The Washington University Copyright Addendum form will generate a customized PDF that authors can attach to a journal publisher’s copyright form to retain specific rights that are not expressly stated by the publisher. Any combination of these rights may be selected. Please note that the WU Addendum allows authors to retain rights to the peer-reviewed manuscript version; not the final published article. The peer-reviewed manuscript version reflects all the changes made as a result of the peer review process.
WU authors are NOT required to use the WU Addendum. It is a tool for authors to use if they wish to retain rights that are not expressly stated in journal publisher’s copyright form. For more information on rights for authors please see Authors and Copyright.
Specific rights that authors can select from include:
- Comply with the NIH Public Access Policy
- Comply with funding agency policies for public access
- Post the work on an institutional or laboratory website
Archive the work on an institutional repository
- Present the work at conference or meeting and give copies of the work to attendees
Retain oral rights to the work
Post the work on Reserves
Use all or part of the work as a basis for a future publication
Use data or images in a future publication
Send copies of the work to colleagues
Instructions for Completion of the WU Addendum:
- Complete the form as indicated.
- Select the “Specific Rights” boxes for the rights you want to retain.
- Review carefully and select “Submit.”
- An email will be sent to the address provided with the addendum attached as a PDF file.
- Save the PDF form that is generated.
- Print the addendum, sign and date it.
- Beneath your signature on the publisher’s copyright form add “Subject to Attached Addendum.”
- Staple the WU Addendum to the publisher’s copyright form.
- Retain copies of both forms.