The links below will connect you to the Becker Library Interlibrary Loan Service. If you are with the Washington University Danforth Campus or the School of Law, please submit your ILL requests to the ILL services through University Libraries or the Law Library.
Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) services incur fees dependent upon your affiliation with Washington University School of Medicine. View the Fee Table.
Select “Create” if you’re unsure whether you already have an account or not
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Services
Use the library’s ILLiad online request system (links above) to:
- Request materials not owned by Becker Medical Library (“interlibrary loan”).
- Request scans of physical materials owned by Becker Medical Library (“document delivery”).
- Request materials physically housed at Becker Medical Library – the item(s) will be pulled and held at the Information Services Desk for you to pick up at no charge.
You may also log in to ILLiad to:
- Revise pending requests.
- Check request status.
- Resubmit canceled ILLiad requests.
- Update ILLiad account information.
Requests are fulfilled electronically whenever possible. Books or AV materials are held at the Becker Library Information desk for you to pick up.
Useful ILLiad Information
Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery Fees
Becker Library covers a portion of the cost of obtaining, shipping and/or scanning documents to fulfill ILLiad requests, and a small portion is passed along to patrons through the fees outlined below. However, some documents such as patents or non-U.S. theses can only be obtained from commercial vendors, which can be extremely expensive. If the cost of obtaining a particular document exceeds $25, we may need to pass on additional charges and will contact you for approval before placing such an order.
|Affiliation||Charge Per Request|
|WashU Medical School Students*||No Charge|
|WashU Medical School Faculty, Staff, Residents, Fellows, and Postdocs||$6|
|BJH, Children’s, Goldfarb, and UHSP||$8|
|WashU Medical School Alumni and Former House Staff||$8|
* Interlibrary loans are free for students currently enrolled in a WUSM program when used for personal research or classroom purposes. Fees will be required for requests made on behalf of others.
Interlibrary Loan Periods
For items borrowed from another library, the length of the loan period and any restrictions on using the item are determined by the lending library. Bernard Becker Medical Library honors all rules established by lenders. Most borrowed items have a two-week loan period, though some materials have much shorter loan periods.
Notification When Requests are Ready for Pick-up
When you register with ILLiad, you select the method that we will use to notify you when your requested item arrives in the Interlibrary Loan office from another library. We use one of two methods to notify you that an item has been received.
- Email – If you request this option, ILLiad will send you an email message telling you what item has arrived. If the item is held for pick-up, the message will tell you that the item is being held at the Becker Medical Library circulation desk. If the item is mailed to your address, the email message will tell you the address to which we mailed the photocopy. If the item is a PDF or electronic copy, the e-mail will provide instructions for viewing and downloading the PDF file.
- Phone – If you request this option, we will call you at the number you listed in ILLiad as your daytime phone number. During the call, we will tell you about any items held at the circulation desk for you. We will not send any additional notification for items mailed to you.
Interlibrary Loan Renewals
Items are automatically renewed for you wherever possible. You will receive a notice of your item’s due date. Renewal policies for each item are determined by the lending library, not by Becker Medical Library.
Returning Borrowed Items
Please return all Interlibrary Loan materials directly to the Becker Medical Library Circulation Desk.
When you return a book, microfilm reel, or other item you borrowed through Interlibrary Loan, please be sure that the ILLiad identification sticker remains on the item so it will be clearly identified as an interlibrary loan item. (Photocopies do not need to be returned.)
Canceling a Request
You may cancel a request by logging into your ILLiad account and you will not be charged if your request has not yet been processed.
Bernard Becker Medical Library at Washington University School of Medicine complies with the National Commission on New Technological Uses of Copyrighted Works Guidelines on Photocopying Under Interlibrary Loan Arrangements when fulfilling interlibrary loan and document delivery requests. In the rare case that we have already reached the allowed maximum for the item you have requested, we have several alternatives for filling your request and will try our best to fulfill your request.