As activity slowly ramps up on the medical campus, we are ramping up our measures to keep library patrons and staff safe and prevent further spread of the coronavirus.
New safety measures at Becker Library:
- Library building access continues to be by WUSM/BJC badge-swipe only.
- Touchless checkout options are available. You may now check out in any of the following ways:
- Full-service checkout – Please follow the social distancing markers on the floor if there is a queue.
- Photo self-checkout – Snap a cell phone photo of a book’s inside back cover and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org from your WashU or BJC email address.
- Manual self-checkout – Pick up a brief form from the information services desk and write your name, WashU or BJC email address, barcode (located on back inside cover, starts with 32201) and call number (located on book spine).
- Pre-order – Request a book be pulled and readied for contactless pick-up by emailing email@example.com.
- Staff handwashing, social distancing and other safety protocols specific to our operations are in place for our protection and yours.
- Hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies are available for patron use.
- Signage has been added throughout Becker Library with reminders about the university’s masks-required policy, social distancing, etc.
- Patrons should not re-shelve books after reference use or browsing. Please place on carts or tables. Signage has been posted to instruct patrons in this regard.
- Handled/returned materials will be quarantined according to guidance set forth by the American Library Association and The Institute of Museum and Library Services.
- Furniture has been moved/removed to aid social distancing. Please do not move furniture from where it has been placed or temporarily stored.
- Public computers have been reduced in number to promote social distancing at the computer stations, which otherwise remain available via WUSTL Key access.
- Research Pod computers remain available as normal. Visit our software page to see which Research Pod programs you can use from home – some for free, others via Becker Library or WashU IT software licensing (often at a group/reduced rate).
Please visit coronavirus.med.wustl.edu for information about coming to the medical campus, including screening and visitor policies.
For those still working from home, nearly all Becker Library resources are available online (free remote access for medical school faculty, staff and students has been extended through Aug. 31).
Since transitioning to remote work, our library staff has continued to provide nearly all of our normal services. Though our in-library staff will remain bare-bones for the time being, we continue to operate a virtual information services desk via firstname.lastname@example.org and remain available to do consultations and presentations for individuals, groups, departments and labs via Zoom.
How can we help you? Please let us know how we can help you navigate working, teaching and learning during this time (and anytime). Send your questions and requests, big or small, to email@example.com.