A series of posters highlighting African Americans in science and technology will be on display in Becker Medical Library from Jan. 17-31, and in the Farrell Learning and Teaching Center lobby from Feb. 3-28. The posters will then travel throughout the medical school and Danforth campuses.
Among the many featured scientists and inventors are Alan A. and Edith L. Wolff Professor of Medicine Sarah K. England, PhD, and Samuel Achilefu, PhD, director of Washington University Molecular Imaging Center and co-leader of the Oncologic Imaging Program at Siteman Cancer Center.
American innovation is richer because of the many contributions of African American scientists and inventors. From colonial times through today, African Americans and others from the African diaspora have contributed to advancements in the natural, formal and social sciences. The poster series highlights a few of the many African Americans leading the way in science. Despite the obstacles they faced personally and professionally, their scientific inquiries have had a significant impact and moved their fields of inquiry forward.
The poster series is sponsored by:
- Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Washington University School of Medicine
- Office of Diversity Programs, Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences, Washington University in St. Louis
- Bernard Becker Medical Library, Washington University School Medicine
- Office of Medical Student Research, Washington University School of Medicine
Special thanks to:
- Dr. Sherree Wilson – Associate vice chancellor and associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion, Washington University School Medicine
- Dr. Wayne A. Warner – Former trainee, Washington University School Medicine
- Michelle Doering – Clinical librarian, Bernard Becker Medical Library at Washington University School Medicine
- Kim Lipsey – Coordinator of education services, Bernard Becker Medical Library at Washington University School Medicine
- Rosalyn Bradshaw-Robinson – Project manager/research administrator, Office of Medical Student Research
Links of interest:
- Browse Becker Library’s collection pertaining to African-Americans and health care.
- Browse Helen Nash, MD: An Exhibit-Women in Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine.