While an administrative error led administrators to quietly declare Washington University School of Medicine desegregated in 1947, efforts for truly active integration across the school and its associate hospitals came only after decades of intentional action and advocacy from many dedicated individuals and groups. The Washington University Medical Center Desegregation History Project highlights the stories [Read more]
The medical school had closed at the outset of the war, and its dean, a notorious grave robber, had fled the city to serve as the Surgeon General of the Confederate Army of the West.
The end of World War II brought elation for some. The staff and patients of the 21st General Hospital, the US Army reserve hospital staffed by members of the Washington University medical community, were almost certainly among those in celebration. The personnel of the 21st had served continuously since 1942 and shared an immense relief [Read more]
In the early 20th century, a “new” medical center was created for Washington University largely due to the efforts of two men: Abraham Flexner and Robert Brookings. With funding from the Carnegie Foundation, Flexner traveled to 155 medical schools throughout the United States and Canada between 1908 and 1910. His goal was to assess each institution [Read more]
Today, nearly 300 women attend Washington University School of Medicine, making up approximately 50 percent of the student body. One hundred years ago this month, the School of Medicine admitted its first women medical students.
A letter from George E. Murphy to Eli Robins in the Eli Robins Papers, Washington University School of Medicine on cognitive behavioral therapy
December 1, 1981
Eli Robins, M.D. Department of Psychiatry
Dear Doctor Robins: