While researchers already have to comply with items like the new Data Management Sharing Policy1, NSPM-332, the August OSTP memo3, and ORCID may feel like one more thing to check off the list, there are many reasons it’s worthwhile and even rewarding to devote a bit of your time to ORCID.
If used effectively, an ORCID iD can make a researcher’s life a little easier. Here’s what you should be doing to get the most out of your ORCID record.
By sharing your ORCID iD through various workflows, like manuscript submissions and grant applications, it will enable automated data exchanges between your ORCID record and publishers’ and funders’ systems. Your information can be exchanged between these systems so that you don’t have to enter it manually. This saves you time and ensures the use of quality data that you have approved and that trusted organizations have certified.
One integrated workflow application that could be beneficial to a researcher is using SciENcv4,5 to create a NIH or NSF biosketch. Once you have linked your ORCID iD, SciENcv is able to pull information into your biosketch with information found in your ORCID record. Information is pulled for biosketch sections like Education and Training, Positions, Scientific Appointments and Honors, and even allow selection of citations for Contributions to Science. Your biosketch is populated with a few simple button selections, but that is only possible if your ORCID record is updated and integrated.
Here are just some of the organizations using ORCID:
- NIH (Biosketch, SciENcv4,5 eraCommons6,7)
- Crossref Metadata Search
- Go Fair US7
- U.S. Department of Transportation
- U.S. Department of Defense
- Publishers such as Elsevier, eLife, IEEE, PloS, PNAS
For more information, please contact Brittney Sandler.
- Data Management & Sharing Policy Overview | Data Sharing (nih.gov)
- Readout of National Security Presidential Memorandum 33 Community Forum | OSTP | The White House
- 08-2022-OSTP-Public-Access-Memo.pdf (whitehouse.gov)
- SciENcv: Integrating with ORCID
- SciENcv: Getting Started (nih.gov)
- The ORCID ID (nih.gov)
- Linking ORCID Identifiers to eRA Profiles to Streamline Application Processes and to Enhance Tracking of Career Outcomes – NIH Extramural Nexus
- ORCID & GO FAIR US: Collaborators Working to Realize a FAIR Data Ecosystem — GO FAIR US