December 13, 2023
The academic year 2022-23 was a productive one for Becker Medical Library. We continued to build upon our successes of previous years and strengthen our position as the knowledge hub for the medical school.
In this annual report, you will find all of the ways that Becker Library makes an impact on the work and lives of the school’s faculty, staff, and students. Some notable highlights of the year include:
- A trip to Italy for medical students to explore the history of modern anatomical study
- An acquisition of personal records from one of the University’s most prominent computer science faculty, Jerome Cox
- Increased faculty support for the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
- An exhibit featuring the personal stories around the school’s desegregation
- Support for an ever-growing number of systematic reviews
- Extremely popular educational sessions on computational methods and REDCap
- Expansion of the Research Profiles platform that provides reliable and consistent information about the school’s faculty
These are only a few examples of the many ways Becker Library and its staff of information professionals act as a catalyst for research and discovery. Read on to learn more and check out the supplement and appendices for all the details.
Associate Dean and Director
Bernard Becker Medical Library
The library’s collection of books, journals, databases, and other resources that directly support the teaching, research, and patient care missions of the medical school.
Searching and Synthesis
Identifying credible resources and using them effectively to answer complex questions. Bringing together information from a range of sources and disciplines to inform debates and decisions on specific issues.
Resources and services in support of data management, data sharing, data visualization, computation, and informatics.
History of Medicine
Rare books and archives illuminating the birth of medicine as a scientific endeavor and Washington University’s place in medical history.
Health and Science Communication
Resources and programs to enhance the communication of faculty, staff, and students to more effectively engage a diverse set of audiences.
Scholarly Communication and Research Impact
Expertise in navigating the complex landscape of scholarly publishing, illustrating the impact of research, and strategies for making research more impactful.
Tools and resources for identifying University expertise, showcasing scholarly output, connecting potential collaborators, and wayfinding for those seeking information from and about Washington University School of Medicine.
Health and Wellness Information
Resources, programs, and partnerships to encourage healthy lifestyle habits among faculty, staff, students, and patients.